Technical difficulties’ rule the rails
HAVING an appointment at the Great Northern Hotel, which I was informed was right outside the entrance to Peterborough station, I decided to take the train. Having not done so, that I can remember, since they puffed out smoke, I was quite looking forward
HAVING an appointment at the Great Northern Hotel, which I was informed was right outside the entrance to Peterborough station, I decided to take the train.
Having not done so, that I can remember, since they puffed out smoke, I was quite looking forward to it.
I duly arrived at March station with 10 minutes to spare before my 2 35pm train, which duly arrived at 2 58pm.''Technical difficulties'' said the voice in the sky.
With plenty of time I wasn't unduly worried about this slight glitch. With business done I returned to Peterborough station to catch the 5 18pm train back to March. That train has been cancelled said the voice in the sky. More ''technical difficulties.''
On enquiring at the ticket office I was told in a very curt manner the next train to March was at 5 48pm, told in such a manner that I felt guilty that I didn't know the train timetable off by heart. So I beat a hasty retreat to the buffet bar to consume one or three cups of coffee, and then back to the platform for the arrival of the 5 48pm train at 6 03pm. This time there was no voice in the sky. Perhaps he had succumbed to, dare I say ''technical difficulties''.
I finally arrived at March station at about 6 15pm. Then I experienced my own ''technical difficulties'', having consumed all that coffee and finding the gents' toilet locked and out of order.
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 3 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 9 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
I really feel I have lost my revived interest in rail travel for another 40 years. For God's sake renationalise the railways because if regular commuters have to put up with that kind of service day in and day out it's a wonder they haven't all got their own straitjackets.