Teenage rape victim urges other women to tell police after she was attacked during a night out in Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
A teenage rape victim has waived her right to anonymity to urge other young women to tell police if they have been assaulted after she was attacked during a night out in Cambridge.
The culprits bragged about what they did in a series of photographs and messages on their mobile phones and were this week jailed.
Honey-Mae Lyons, 19, is telling her story in a bid to encourage others to come forward.
She had been out with friends in Cambridge in the early hours of July 30 last year when she was seen on CCTV being carried across Parkers Piece by Muhammed Ekici, 24, and Serham Ozkebapci, 25 who took her to their Parkside Place flat.
The teenager has no recollection of the events which led her to wake up in the flat the next morning.
You may also want to watch:
However the teenager, who was 18 at the time, knew something wasn’t right when she discovered parts of her clothing on inside out and reported the incident to police later that day.
Honey-Mae said: “From the moment I realised I had been sexually assaulted, I was convinced it was my fault and I felt embarrassed to tell people what happened.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
“I expected them to wave a disapproving finger at me and assume it was my fault because I had been drinking.
“Now I know that no matter how drunk someone is, no matter what state they are in, nobody has the right to take advantage of them.
“I would urge anyone who finds themselves in my situation to report it. What those men did to me has had such an impact on my personal life that I cannot find any words to describe how horrific the last eight months have been.
“Reporting it allowed me to accept that I was a victim of sexual assault and rape and knowing these men are receiving justice has helped me slowly let go of the past and begin to move on with my life.”
Detective Constable Becky Cohen said: “Honey showed great courage in coming forward to report this horrific experience to the police.
“This must have been very difficult, were it not for this inner strength, two despicable characters would still be free to roam the streets of Cambridge.
“The calculated and cold-hearted actions they took that night can never be excused. Jointly they preyed on a defenceless and vulnerable young woman for their own self-gratification.”
Honey-Mae, of Bourn, Cambridgeshire, made the decision to go public following the convictions of the pair at Norwich Crown Court on Wednesday (23).
The duo were arrested and charged with rape after DNA swabs taken during Honey-Mae’s forensic examination matched theirs.
Ekici pleaded guilty in advance to rape and was sentenced to seven years in prison.
Ozkebapci pleaded half-way through the trial to sexual assault and was jailed for three and a half years.