Teenagers get a tough Valentine’s Day as emergency services stage fatal collision renactment at local college
- Credit: Archant
Hard -hitting messages were sent out to teenagers on Valentine’s Day when firefighters created a fatal collision scene at a college.
Fire crews, paramedics and police descended upon Peterborough Regional College today (Feb 14) as part of the For My Girlfriend campaign, run by the Safer Peterborough Partnership.
The scenario involved a young male driver in a car crash, which kills his girlfriend and lands him in a police cell. The campaign urges young drivers to take responsibility when behind the wheel and highlights the personal and legal consequences of being involved in a road collision.
Lynn Betteridge, Community Risk Manager at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Today was about sending home hard-hitting messages to the young people of Peterborough through an extremely visual scenario with our partnership agencies.
“The aim was to make young people aware of the consequences of speeding, drinking, alcohol and drug misuse as well as distraction in a vehicle. In 2013
You may also want to watch:
111 people aged 17-25 were injured on Peterborough roads. In the past five years 52 people in the same age bracket have been killed or seriously injured on Peterborough’s roads.
Clair George, Road Safety Officer for the Safer Peterborough partnership, added: “This morning’s activities were aimed at illustrating the terrible dangers and consequences that can occur when driving irresponsibly. One of our key priorities is to reduce the number of young drivers and passengers aged 17 to 25 who are killed or seriously injured on Peterborough roads.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens