Tenants of Boathouse cafe shut up shop but Fenland Council keen to find replacement to keep the dream alive
IT’S been at various times called The Marina Caf� and more recently The Harbour Caf� but from today it can more accurately be described as The Closed Caf�.
Tenants of the caf� within the Wisbech Boathouse have given in their notice after failing to make it pay.
Fenland District Council is keen to find a replacement but appreciates the difficulties. More than a third of the units within the Boathouse, it was reported to councillors last week, remain unlet.
“When we embarked on the Nene Waterfront development, the caf� was seen an integral part of the whole scheme,” said a spokesman.
“It was to be have been linked closely with the housing and businesses next door and feeding off that, as well as providing an attractive venue that would pull the public into the area.
You may also want to watch:
“Unfortunately, the economic downturn has meant that has not worked out as we had hoped. It just hasn’t had the footfall or passing trade it needs.”
The council is keen however to see whether a new tenant might have a better plan for it.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
The spokesman added: “Despite the difficult circumstances, we remain very keen to keep it as a caf� if at all possible and will be working with any potential providers to see if that can be achieved.”
It certainly is an eye catching setting with review on the Trip Advisor website noting that “the full length windows provide a good view of the riverside landscape. Service is good and there is a range of good value food on offer. Located just north of the police station it’s conveniently located.”