Tenants of Boathouse cafe shut up shop but Fenland Council keen to find replacement to keep the dream alive
IT’S been at various times called The Marina Caf� and more recently The Harbour Caf� but from today it can more accurately be described as The Closed Caf�.
Tenants of the caf� within the Wisbech Boathouse have given in their notice after failing to make it pay.
Fenland District Council is keen to find a replacement but appreciates the difficulties. More than a third of the units within the Boathouse, it was reported to councillors last week, remain unlet.
“When we embarked on the Nene Waterfront development, the caf� was seen an integral part of the whole scheme,” said a spokesman.
“It was to be have been linked closely with the housing and businesses next door and feeding off that, as well as providing an attractive venue that would pull the public into the area.
“Unfortunately, the economic downturn has meant that has not worked out as we had hoped. It just hasn’t had the footfall or passing trade it needs.”
The council is keen however to see whether a new tenant might have a better plan for it.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 8 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 9 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
The spokesman added: “Despite the difficult circumstances, we remain very keen to keep it as a caf� if at all possible and will be working with any potential providers to see if that can be achieved.”
It certainly is an eye catching setting with review on the Trip Advisor website noting that “the full length windows provide a good view of the riverside landscape. Service is good and there is a range of good value food on offer. Located just north of the police station it’s conveniently located.”