Tesco says its new Wisbech complex opening later this month will have a “department store” feel to it
- Credit: Archant
The keys to the new Wisbech Tesco store have been handed over ready for the opening later this month.
The new store, on Cromwell Road, opens to the public on Thursday February 20 and this week store manager, Kevin Chestnutt, received the keys so staff can begin final preparations.
The store team, including 250 staff transferred from the existing Superstore, can now prepare the store and stack shelves for opening.
The Tesco Extra store will replace the existing Superstore as part of the new Cromwell Road development, creating a retail destination in Wisbech.
Fenland District Council has welcomed the news with councillor Chris Seaton, the council’s deputy leader and cabinet member responsible for the economy, saying: “We are delighted that the store is about to open. Over the past few years our regeneration and planning teams have worked very closely with Tesco to bring it forward.
You may also want to watch:
“It is a key element in the plans for the overall development of the Cromwell Road site, which will also include restaurants and a long-awaited, state of the art cinema due to open in the spring. It is a development that is vital for the economic regeneration of the town.”
The new store will offer customers more ranges and services, including an opticians, phone shop and a number of counters serving fresh meat, fish, pizza and a delicatessen serving cooked meats & cheese.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Wisbech will be one of the first Tesco stores in the UK to adopt a new concept, being built with a department store layout and feel to its general merchandise ranges, including homeware, electrical, health & beauty and new generation F&F clothing.
Kevin said: ‘My team and I are really excited for our launch and look forward to offering a new shopping experience in store, whilst continuing to provide the ranges and services customers know and love at our existing superstore.”
The store will open its doors for the first time at 8am on Thursday February 20. The official launch celebrations will take place at 10am, when the store will make a £1,000 donation to a local charity and customers will be invited to enjoy complimentary cake and champagne.