Tesco says its new Wisbech complex opening later this month will have a “department store” feel to it
- Credit: Archant
The keys to the new Wisbech Tesco store have been handed over ready for the opening later this month.
The new store, on Cromwell Road, opens to the public on Thursday February 20 and this week store manager, Kevin Chestnutt, received the keys so staff can begin final preparations.
The store team, including 250 staff transferred from the existing Superstore, can now prepare the store and stack shelves for opening.
The Tesco Extra store will replace the existing Superstore as part of the new Cromwell Road development, creating a retail destination in Wisbech.
Fenland District Council has welcomed the news with councillor Chris Seaton, the council’s deputy leader and cabinet member responsible for the economy, saying: “We are delighted that the store is about to open. Over the past few years our regeneration and planning teams have worked very closely with Tesco to bring it forward.
“It is a key element in the plans for the overall development of the Cromwell Road site, which will also include restaurants and a long-awaited, state of the art cinema due to open in the spring. It is a development that is vital for the economic regeneration of the town.”
The new store will offer customers more ranges and services, including an opticians, phone shop and a number of counters serving fresh meat, fish, pizza and a delicatessen serving cooked meats & cheese.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 3 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 6 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 7 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 8 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 9 Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel until later due to 'incidents'
- 10 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
Wisbech will be one of the first Tesco stores in the UK to adopt a new concept, being built with a department store layout and feel to its general merchandise ranges, including homeware, electrical, health & beauty and new generation F&F clothing.
Kevin said: ‘My team and I are really excited for our launch and look forward to offering a new shopping experience in store, whilst continuing to provide the ranges and services customers know and love at our existing superstore.”
The store will open its doors for the first time at 8am on Thursday February 20. The official launch celebrations will take place at 10am, when the store will make a £1,000 donation to a local charity and customers will be invited to enjoy complimentary cake and champagne.