Thank you everybody! Fun day raises more than £8,500 for tiny tot Gabriella from Leverington who was born with a rare heart condition
- Credit: Archant
A family has sent a huge thank you to the community who raised £8,574.36 for their daughter whose heart was stapled to her ribs in a pioneering life saving operation.
Gabriella Stearne, 16 months, is finally at home in Leverington with her parents and two sisters having spent all but three weeks of her life in Great Ormond Street Hospital.
The tiny tot, born with a rare heart condition and only one lung, needs round the clock care from her parents, Amie and Tom, alongside 24-hour carers to make sure she is correctly ventilated and receives the support she needs.
The money raised means the family can now buy a people carrier so they can go out for day trips with Gabriella along with her siblings Alexis, eight, and three year old Imogen
Their former family car was not big enough to fit them all in alongside Gabriella’s medical equipment that needs strapping in to a car seat next to her plus the carer that must travel with them at all times.
You may also want to watch:
Family friend Sheree Hoque, who helped organise a fund raising family fun day at Leverington, said: “Gabriella’s family are extremely grateful and overwhelmed by everyone’s generosity.
“Damien Pearl was a huge help organising the day and designing all the leaflets, he is a director for Watts Marketing who kindly donated free advertising.
- 1 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 2 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Man who sent deputy Labour leader threatening email spared jail
- 9 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 10 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
“So many companies helped us - we really couldn’t of done it without them. Party Lincs Hire provided ice cream slush puppies crazy golf and coconut shy.
“Xtra Mile Entertainment did glitter tattoos, sumo wrestling and brought Sky and Chase from Paw Patrol, SCJ Mascots came with Marshall from Paw Patrol, Affinity Inflatables and BTS roadshow provided us with bouncy castles, we had Just Josh sing for us, Giraffe sent three staff with balloons and mascot, a very kind lady called Chrissie Smith came along with a stall as Usbourne children’s book representative and I need to thank the Leverington Social Club - they were truly amazing with all their help.
“We were spoilt with raffle prizes. Big thanks to everyone who helped, came to the fun day, the car booters and everyone who donated.”
Gabriella was born with the heart condition Scimitar Syndrome, TOF, and one lung.
She has had multiple surgeries and a prosthetic lung implanted which needs enlarging every few months to match her growth rate.