Special ‘Thank you NHS’ Spitfire to flyover region to mark service’s 72nd birthday
- Credit: Archant
A very special ‘Thank you NHS’ Spitfire plane will fly over the region at the weekend to mark the 72nd birthday of the National Health Service.
The aircraft will be seen in the sky above several East of England hospitals after setting off from Duxford Airfield at around 4pm on Sunday, July 5.
The plane was restored by family-owned ‘Aircraft Restoration Company’ who restore vintage aircrafts at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford Airfield in Cambridgeshire.
It will fly over Royal Papworth Hospital at 17:02, just moments after the one-off ‘clap for carers’ event arranged for 17:00 on July 5 to mark the founding of the NHS in 1948.
The plane will also fly over Witchford near Ely to thank the community for sewing scrubs for the NHS during the coronavirus pandemic.
You may also want to watch:
The full Spitfire route is as followed:
- 16:20 - Duxford Airfield
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 16:28 – The New QEII Hospital, Welwyn Garden City (East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust)
- 16:33 - Luton and Dunstable University Hospital, Luton (Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
- 16:36 – Lister Hospital, Stevenage (East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust)
- 16:41 – Bedford Hospital, Bedford (Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
- 16:47 – Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon (North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust)
- 16:53 – Witchford, village near Ely
- 16:58 – Fulbourn Hospital, Cambridge (Cambridgeshire & Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust)
- 17:00 – Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge (Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
- 17:02 – Royal Papworth Hospital, Cambridge (Royal Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust)
- 17:10 – Duxford Airfield
You can follow the event on social media using the #NHSSpitfire and anyone heading out to see it is asked to observe social distancing at all times.