Thanks to everyone who supported our fight to reinstate Fenland leisure centres’ names
We would like to thank all the Wisbech residents - and former residents - who ensured common sense and respect prevailed to reinstate the name of Hudson to our leisure centre.
Many of us - councillors and residents - were shocked to learn Fenland District Council’s cabinet, without consultation with anyone, decided to remove Hudson’s name from the building he made possible. It also removed the name of George Campbell from the March centre.
We received enormous support from groups and societies in Wisbech expressing their grave displeasure, residents’ letters and e-mails, ex-pat Wisbechians, many hundreds signing a petition and people attending the council meeting to support the motion to get the decision changed.
Although Wisbech sometimes gets ‘talked down’ this showed that Wisbech people really do care about their town and are proud of its history and all came together to show their support.
CLLRS MICHAEL & VIRGINIA BUCKNOR
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 10 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer