The Ely Grumpster reflects on his favourite holiday memories
- Credit: Archant
• Having secured a contract extension at work (the removal of the uber-expensive brown brogue-wearing buffoon, Peregrine, playing no small part in my good fortune), I can complete holiday planning for 2018.
Two weeks in Turin and the Italian Riviera (July) with friends Jaw-Ache Jane (won gold for England in the 2010 mini-Olypmics (“talk incessant garbage for three hours medley”) and her Blacksmith husband Jim (who has a false leg and a right bicep two inches bigger than his left), plus the eagerly awaited trip down under. With the Grumpster daughters’ flights now booked, Doris and I only have to persuade the hollow-legged inhabitant of our spare room that he should join the rest of his family for the antipodean knees-up.
• Whilst trapped on the tube two weeks past (signal failure, Baker Street), my face making whoopee with some Hungarian’s armpit, I started to reminisce about some of the amazing holidays of yesteryear.
Memories that will stay with me forever. Here are just a few:
• Isles of Scilly – white beaches, turquoise seas (St Martin’s), Neolithic graves, camping in a force 8, midnight moonlight glinting off the Western Rocks, Live music and ale in the Turk’s Head (all St Agnes).
You may also want to watch:
• Croatia – rocky inlets, crystal clear sea, the magnificent walled city of Dubrovnik, cliff-side restaurants at dusk, kayaking from island to island. Less salubrious? Doris’ insistence on “trying out” a nudist beach. Having a conversation with a German couple whilst stark naked is something I will never forget nor ever repeat.
• Cuba - The sheer madness of Havana, Ernest Hemmingway’s favourite bar, full-corona cigars, rum punch, eating freshly caught lobster. The screams of my daughter as she discovered the co-inhabitant of her beach toilet was a three foot snake.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
• Ontario – lost in the wilderness in Missisagi National Park with no water and bears for company (possibly the only time I have been truly scared). Witnessing the 2017 total solar eclipse on a mountainside in Wyoming. The awesome beauty of that celestial event is burned on my soul.
• Corfu – my first proper holiday with Mrs Grumpster’s predecessor – swordfish steaks then cocktails in the Coco Banana. 15 years later, returned with the family. Youngest Grumpster’s first flight. Face a picture.
• Tobago - Englishman’s Bay – incomparable. So many great memories. Despite loving the fact I am earning again, the wanderlust never goes away. I won’t be taking the budgie smugglers to the charity shop just yet.
To get in contact with Chris Fry aka The Ely Grumpster email email@example.com