The former studio of photographer Lilian Ream goes under the hammer
- Credit: Archant
House buyers can invest in a little piece of history when the studio of a Fenland female photographer goes under the hammer.
Lilian Ream, who began a photography apprenticeship in 1894 at the age of 17, became renowned for her work around Wisbech.
Andrew Sharp, who has owned the home since 2003 said: “Because it was purpose built for photography the rooms are all really big and airy with lots of light.
“You get a lot of property for your money and a piece of history that goes with it.”
Mrs Ream, who amassed hundreds of negatives from a lifetime’s career in photography, set up a number of businesses in the town including the Borough Studio.
You may also want to watch:
She gained an apprenticeship with photographer Alfred Drysdale whose work involved taking black and white or sepia photographs with an old box camera and using water colour paints to enhance them.
The family firm she built continued until 1971 and over this period she amassed a large collection of photographic negatives.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
Her first studio at 96 Lynn Road, Wisbech is now known as Victoria House, and seems to have been established by the younger Valentine Blanchard in the early 1880s.
It is being sold by auction by William H Brown, Wisbech Office, on December 5 in Barham Broom. The guide price is £110 000 which the estate agent says is half its true market value.
The owner, a geologist, is selling it due to a long term contract abroad working in the Philippines.