The mission to find missing people is demonstrated to Wisbech students
- Credit: Archant
Uniformed services students at the College of West Anglia Isle campus have been given an insight into the work of the search and rescue teams.
Team leaders Steve Crowson and Steve Tibbs from the voluntary organisation gave a talk on the work of Cambridge Search and Rescue (CamSAR) and life as a volunteer.
Based at the fire station in March, CamSAR was founded in 2006 to help police in the search for vulnerable missing persons.
Speaking of their work, team leader Steve Tibbs said: “CamSAR specialist volunteer is important in search and rescue operations, due to our specialist training.”
After the talk, students were shown one of the organisation’s specialist vehicles, these include 4×4 ambulances, specialist kayaks, swift water equipment and mountain bikes.
You may also want to watch:
The team also provides support to other emergency services in the county, or the rest of the UK if called upon.
Speaking after the event uniformed services tutor John Yare said: “We have a great relationship with many of the UK’s emergency services including organisations such as CamSAR.
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
“They really are some of Cambridgeshire’s unsung heroes so it’s important for our students to learn of their work and the opportunities to volunteer for them”.
The team is made up entirely of fully trained volunteers. Anyone interested in volunteering or finding out more about the organisation should call 01223 968850 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.