The Queen Mary Centre in Wisbech officially opened following renovation
- Credit: Archant
A newly renovated community centre was officially opened on Wednesday.
The Queen Mary Centre, the largest community building in the heart of Wisbech, was opened by Dr Chan Abraham, chief executive of Luminus Group.
The centre is run by Luminus Group’s Ferry Project, a registered charity that helps homeless people in Fenland, with the support of Business in the Community (BiTC), Fenland District Council and Cambridgeshire County Council.
It has multiple rooms available for hire and has already been used for a variety of functions, including weddings, dance classes and youth activities.
Dr Abraham said, “Luminus is committed to continuing support for Fenland communities and the opening of this wonderful facility is the most recent example.
You may also want to watch:
“Our 2020 Vision is focused on inspiring people to help change the world for the better and to make progress along The Road to Renewal. The centre will create opportunities for that to happen.”
Keith Smith, Ferry Project director, said: “The Queen Mary Centre is a fantastic venue for Wisbech and we hope to see positive change within the community, as residents make use of the wide range of facilities the building has to offer.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
“This is an exciting new venture that has already proved to be a success, with many other agencies getting involved to support their local community.
“Ferry Project is delighted to be working alongside Business in the Community and we hope we can continue to help improve the community within Wisbech as well as help the homeless throughout Fenland.”
Russell Beale, of Business in the Community, said: “Business in the Community is delighted to be working alongside Ferry Project to renovate the Queen Mary Centre for the benefit of local residents, community groups and local business of Fenland to use.”
If you are interested in hiring the Queen Mary Centre, contact 01945 581444.