The Queen Mary Centre in Wisbech officially opened following renovation
- Credit: Archant
A newly renovated community centre was officially opened on Wednesday.
The Queen Mary Centre, the largest community building in the heart of Wisbech, was opened by Dr Chan Abraham, chief executive of Luminus Group.
The centre is run by Luminus Group’s Ferry Project, a registered charity that helps homeless people in Fenland, with the support of Business in the Community (BiTC), Fenland District Council and Cambridgeshire County Council.
It has multiple rooms available for hire and has already been used for a variety of functions, including weddings, dance classes and youth activities.
Dr Abraham said, “Luminus is committed to continuing support for Fenland communities and the opening of this wonderful facility is the most recent example.
“Our 2020 Vision is focused on inspiring people to help change the world for the better and to make progress along The Road to Renewal. The centre will create opportunities for that to happen.”
Keith Smith, Ferry Project director, said: “The Queen Mary Centre is a fantastic venue for Wisbech and we hope to see positive change within the community, as residents make use of the wide range of facilities the building has to offer.
- 1 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 2 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 3 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 4 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 7 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 8 'Most stunning' The Chase contestant takes on fresh challenge
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Couple up for the challenge as new high street shop launched
“This is an exciting new venture that has already proved to be a success, with many other agencies getting involved to support their local community.
“Ferry Project is delighted to be working alongside Business in the Community and we hope we can continue to help improve the community within Wisbech as well as help the homeless throughout Fenland.”
Russell Beale, of Business in the Community, said: “Business in the Community is delighted to be working alongside Ferry Project to renovate the Queen Mary Centre for the benefit of local residents, community groups and local business of Fenland to use.”
If you are interested in hiring the Queen Mary Centre, contact 01945 581444.