Thick smoke forces police to close road after fire at North Bank, Whittlesey
- Credit: Archant
THICK smoke prompted police to close a Fenland road last night after a rubbish fire in Whittlesey.
Firefighters were called to North Bank at about 7pm after a large pile of rubbish, spanning 10m by 10m, went up in flames.
The blaze caused smoke to billow across the carriageway, causing dangerous driving conditions.
A police spokesman said: “Officers attended and closed the road from 7.20-7.40pm while the fire was extinguished and smoke cleared from the carriageway.”
A fire crew from Whittlesey used two hose reels, one jet and drags to tackle the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is unknown.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned