Thieves steal a shed from RAF base by cutting a hole in the fence
- Credit: Archant
Audacious thieves have stolen a shed from RAF Mildenhall after cutting a hole in the US military base’s perimeter fence.
The bold crime happened amid a seemingly calculated attack on the base’s perimeter fence in the past few weeks, with the shed being stolen from housing on the base.
Squadron Leader Rick Fryer said the thieves had cut a hole 2ft high by 8ft wide directly behind the shed, so it was not visible from nearby houses. One night, the culprits squeezed through the hole into the garden of the unoccupied house, dismantled the 12 feet by eight feet shed – which had a solar panel on its roof – and passed it back through the hole before escaping.
The incident happened in the north-west corner of the base, towards West Suffolk Golf Centre, with the thieves able to escape over the fields near Rookery Drove and Skelton’s Drove. Sqn Ldr Fryer said that base staff had initially discovered holes behind sheds at five properties around three weeks ago, and patched them up.
However, similar holes were discovered at the same
properties only a week ago, during which time the shed was stolen from one of the biggest US Air Force bases outside north America.
He added: “Faintly amusing to us with a sense of humour was through one of the holes, an entire garden shed was stolen. It’s not a small shed.
- 1 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 2 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 3 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 4 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 5 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 6 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 7 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 8 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 9 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 10 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
“It’s rather disappointing the neighbours didn’t notice, because the house was unoccupied.
“If anyone tries to sell you a nice new shed with a solar panel attached to the roof, that’s the one that was nicked.
“We are increasing our own police presence. I know it happens elsewhere.”