Thirty firefighters tackle house blaze caused by ‘lit incense stick’ which ‘fell into basket’
- Credit: Archant
Around 30 firefighters from Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire tackled a house blaze thought to be caused by a lit incense stick last night which has left a family homeless.
A woman and three children had evacuated the three storey house, on Brynmore in Bretton, Peterborough before crews arrived but were concerned about their pet dog.
An hour into the incident, firefighters tackling the blaze from inside the house found the dog alive and well taking cover in a kitchen cupboard. The dog was later reunited with the family who were overjoyed.
Crews from Dogsthorpe and Stanground were first sent to the fire at around 5.15pm.
They immediately requested further support and Peterborough Volunteers, Whittlesey and Huntingdon were sent, soon followed by Market Deeping and Crowland from Lincolnshire, when the fire spread to the adjoining house’s roof.
Fire crews eventually brought the fire under control and managed to prevent the fire spreading further than the roof space in the adjoining property.
Station commander Lynn Betteridge, the officer in charge of the incident, said: “This was a challenging fire for us to tackle due to limited access to the property and a large amount of combustible material inside the house.
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 3 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 8 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
“Sadly all floors of the house have been severely damaged by the fire, but firefighters did well to prevent the fire spreading further than the roof in the neighbouring house.”
The Red Cross victim support vehicle attended to support the family who all managed to get out of the house after the fire started.
It is believed the fire started accidentally when a lit incense stick fell into a basket.
She added: “This fire shows the very serious consequences anything with a naked flame can have if safety measures are not put in place.
“Candles and incense sticks or cones can create a homely atmosphere but need to be used with great care.
“Always use a heat resistant holder or plate, keep away from draughts and never leave unattended.”
The last crews arrived back to their station around 8.30pm.