This day is called the feast of pea shooting, He that outlives this day, and comes safe home will stand a tip-toe when the day is named, And rouse him at the name of Witcham
- Credit: Archant
PEASHOOTERS across the world will be dusted down this weekend for the return of the World Pea Shooting Championships in Witcham.
Last year’s event saw more than 150 entrants battling it out for the coveted title, with Rob Breslar unseating two-time champion Ian Ashmeade in a tense final.
The event, which coincided with the village fair, raised £2,000 towards the upgrade of the village hall.
This year’s event takes place on July 13, with registration for the competition starting at 12pm and battle commencing an hour later.
Entrants will be able to compete in the world championship, ladies and junior championship as well as a team championship in a packed day of competition.
You may also want to watch:
Alongside the championships, visitors can again enjoy the fair which will included a barbecue, bottle stall, bric-a-brac, jewellery and book stalls, and a number of side shows.
Witcham has been the spiritual home of the championships since 1971 when village schoolmaster John Tyson was inspired to set them up to try and raise funds for the village hall.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Mr Tyson got the idea for the championships from a group of his mischievous pupils, who he caught firing peas at their fellow students during school-time.
The championships have been running ever since and have drawn interest from across the globe, with competitors having arrived from Spain, the USA and New Zealand to take part.