Three friends run marathon in memory of pal’s beloved grandfather
- Credit: Sarah Deighton
Three best friends ran a charity marathon together in memory of their pal’s beloved grandfather who died of cancer earlier last month.
Harrison Deighton and his two friends Bobby Manchett and Alex Redhead took it upon themselves to raise cash for the hospital which looked after his grandad during his final days.
John Taylor, who had suffered multiple types of terminal cancer, died on April 12 after a short battle with breast cancer lasting six weeks.
Without any marathon training whatsoever, the three March friends set up an online fundraiser in aid of Thorpe Hall Hospice and Cancer Research UK.
Sarah Deighton, Harrison’s mother, said: “They’ve raised well over £1,300 plus, we’ve not had a proper count up yet as donations are still coming in and being collected
“But I just thought it was so awesome that they set it up and completed [the marathon] with no special training in a matter of weeks.”
Harrison, Bobby and Alex completed the sprint in a moving time of 4 hours and 30 minutes on Saturday, May 22 following just nine weeks of training.
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 3 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 4 Motorcyclist killed after driver fell asleep at the wheel
- 5 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 6 Man arrested following Peterborough 'murder'
- 7 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 8 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 9 The Queen's Head named 'Cambridgeshire's best pub'
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
“The boys would like to thank anyone who supported in the fundraiser and general cause,” added Ms Deighton. “Not one of them had ever done anything quite like it before.”