Three friends run marathon in memory of pal’s beloved grandfather
- Credit: Sarah Deighton
Three best friends ran a charity marathon together in memory of their pal’s beloved grandfather who died of cancer earlier last month.
Harrison Deighton and his two friends Bobby Manchett and Alex Redhead took it upon themselves to raise cash for the hospital which looked after his grandad during his final days.
John Taylor, who had suffered multiple types of terminal cancer, died on April 12 after a short battle with breast cancer lasting six weeks.
Without any marathon training whatsoever, the three March friends set up an online fundraiser in aid of Thorpe Hall Hospice and Cancer Research UK.
Sarah Deighton, Harrison’s mother, said: “They’ve raised well over £1,300 plus, we’ve not had a proper count up yet as donations are still coming in and being collected
You may also want to watch:
“But I just thought it was so awesome that they set it up and completed [the marathon] with no special training in a matter of weeks.”
Harrison, Bobby and Alex completed the sprint in a moving time of 4 hours and 30 minutes on Saturday, May 22 following just nine weeks of training.
- 1 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 2 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 3 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 4 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 5 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 6 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 7 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 8 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 9 'No excuse' not to publish costs says funeral director
- 10 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
“The boys would like to thank anyone who supported in the fundraiser and general cause,” added Ms Deighton. “Not one of them had ever done anything quite like it before.”