#Throwback! 100 years of music and fashion celebrated at Fenland’s annual Chatteris Midsummer Festival
- Credit: IAN CARTER
Hundreds lined the streets of Chatteris to celebrate 100 years of music and fashion at the town’s midsummer festival.
Beginning in Church Lane, a colourful all singing all dancing parade marched through the high street on Saturday, June 29 at 11am.
Spearheaded by Market Place and Chatteris Youth Club, the annual event aimed to transport children and families back to the 1980s.
After the parade, everyone headed to Furrowfields recreation ground for live music and entertainment at the 'Party in the Park' segment of the festival.
Among the entertainment was a flash mob dance led by local singer Laura Dennis in aid of the Empress Swimming Pool.
Laura said: "Thank you so much to all of our 'flash mobbers' who gave their free time to come to secret rehearsals and those who practised at home with the video link.
"I'm overwhelmed by the amount of people who got involved! What a great community we have!"
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 6 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 7 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 8 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 9 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 10 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
Historian and artist Hilary Cox Condron was on hand inviting festival goers to have their photo taken with two iconic 80s pop images.
They were given the opportunity to leave personal thoughts and memories about the 1980s on the 'My 80's Generation Memory Wall'.
For more information, visit: www.fenland.gov.uk/ChatterisFestival