Top award for 22-year-old trucker Laurie makes her mum very proud
JUST a year after hitting the headlines for becoming one of the youngest fully qualified female truckers in the country, Laurie Bartram has taken top honours at a transport industry award ceremony.
At a glittering event at The Savoy Hotel in London, Laurie was declared commercial driver of the year in the 2012 MAN everywoman in Transport & Logistics Awards.
Laurie, 22, of Chatteris, who is licenced to drive a 44-tonne articulated lorry, currently works for Littleport based Bartrams Express, run by her father Ray and mother Yvonne.
“We are very proud of her indeed,” said Yvonne. “Laurie is an accomplished horsewoman and I first encouraged her to take her class 2 licence so she could drive the horse box.
“We then encouraged her to do all the other qualifications, and she has taken to it like a duck to water.”
You may also want to watch:
Laurie gained her class 1 and full drivers CPC (certificate of professional competence) just 12 months ago. She also has an advanced CPC for carrying livestock.
Yvonne added: “Laurie has been approached by various agencies to help promote commercial driving to young people especially women. They hope she will become a role model to encourage young people into the transport and logistics industry.”
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
The Everywoman awards, set up to raise the profile of women who are excelling in the non traditional sector of transport and logistics industries, are now in their fifth year.
They are supported by industry leaders including MAN Truck & Bus UK Ltd, the Freight Transport Association, the Road Haulage Association and Media Partner Motor Transport.