Tories win seven of the nine Wisbech seats on Fenland District Council
The Conservatives have won seven of the nine Wisbech seats on Fenland District Council after David Hodgson, David Oliver and Steve Tierney were all re-elected.
It means the only two Wisbech seats not under Tory control are those in Waterlees Village, which have been retained by independent husband and wife Michael and Virginia Bucknor.
Cllr Hodgson retained his Staithe seat, holding off the challenge of Labour’s Reg Mee and UKIP’s Caroline Smith – and he described the victory as the best possible early wedding anniversary present.
He said: “Thanks everyone for helping, most especially to my wife Judy. It’s our 41st wedding anniversary next Monday and this is best start to it.”
Cllr Tierney returns to Fenland Hall representing Medworth, after staving off the challenges of Paul Edwards (UKIP), Jo Reeves (Labour) and Helen Scott-Daniels (Green).
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Tierney said: “Wisbech Conservatives have been growing over the last two years and now represent a very diverse group of people. My victory very much represents this.
“Thank you to Wisbech Conservatives, staff and colleagues. The hard work begins now to make a real difference in the town and do something positive.”
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
The final Wisbech seat to declare was Peckover ward, where David Oliver beat UKIP candidate Nick Meekins.
Cllr Oliver said: “As people know I’m a man of very few words so I would just like to thank everybody who voted for me and everybody who helped me.”
• You can view all the results in detail by clicking here.