Tornado strikes March
A MINI tornado struck in March yesterday (Thursday), and residents were quick to grab their cameras. The black funnel followed a thunderstorm across the town at around 10.30 am and ripped across rooftops. A spokesman for the Met Office said: These pictur
A MINI tornado struck in March yesterday (Thursday), and residents were quick to grab their cameras.
The black funnel followed a thunderstorm across the town at around 10.30 am and ripped across rooftops.
A spokesman for the Met Office said: "These pictures show a funnel cloud, which is a tornadic development that doesn't make contact with the ground.
Dave Jones was out in Turves trainspotting when he saw the tornado on the horizon.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a bit of a surprise but it made a change from photographing trains," he said. "It wasn't really frightening - just spectacular."
No damage was reported in Fenland but the tornado eventually lifted a portable building into the air at Baston, on Cambridgeshire's border with Lincolnshire, injuring five people including archaeology students who were taking shelter from the storm.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
The Met Office spokesman added that the weather conditions were "just right" for this phenomenon to occur.