Awards for Terry and Michael at town crier championships - and a very special honour for our Avril
- Credit: Archant
In 1996, to celebrate its reformation from the county of Humberside to East Riding of Yorkshire, an appointment for a town crier was created to help put the new county on the map.
Michael auditioned and hasn’t looked back since. In addition to civic and community duties, his corporate work led to travelling the world and becoming the very first Hollywood town crier.
On Saturday Michael was acclaimed British champion of the Loyal Company of Town Criers yesterday during the Eel Day competition.
Hundreds watched as he received his trophy as British champion from Mayor of Ely, Cllr Richard Hobbs
Michael said: “In the fast-moving world of today when everything has to be pioneering, technological or digitised, my vocational motto is ‘town criers remain both timeless and timely.’ Thank you, City of Ely for helping to perpetuate this.”
You may also want to watch:
In his home city of Liverpool, Terry Stubbings has , as his local paper says, been shouting his mouth off for years – but it was only five years ago that be became their first town crier for more than 200 years.
Ely had the chance to see Terry in action on Saturday as he was awarded the best ambassador during the British town crier championships held as part of Ely Eel Day.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
“I see my role as being an ambassador – a person who adds a bit of colour to people’s views and memories of Liverpool, by having my picture taken with them and advising them about things to do,” he once told the Liverpool Echo.
Later in the evening Ely’s town crier, Avril Hayter-Smith, was given the Freedom of the City of Ely.
The announcement was made at the criers’ dinner at Little Downham and the certificate presented by Cllr Hobbs, the mayor, on behalf of the council.
“What a wonderful surprise,” she said.
Several former mayors were able to join in congratulating her on her outstanding dedication and service as an ambassador for the city
Results of the British championship
Winner: Michael Wood. East Riding of Yorkshire
Runner up: John Griffiths. Sleazoids
Third place: Terry Ford Ottley
Best home cry: Terry Stubbings. Liverpool
Best themed cry: Peter Taunton Newport
Best ambassador: Terry Stubbings
Best dressed crier :Terry Ford
Best dressed consort: Jo Jackson Malton and Norton
Best dressed couple: Peter and Maureen Taunton