Plenty to feast upon at the Whittlesey allotment awards
- Credit: RWT Photography/Fenland Youth Radio
Whittlesey came together to mark this year’s allotment awards while helping raise funds for charity.
Town mayor Cllr David Mason alongside mayoress Ann Mason and judge Gill Lawrence were on hand at the awards ceremony on Saturday, October 9.
Michael and Carol Stapley claimed top prize, Paul Anthony was runner-up while Ewelina Michalak, Tom Cocksedge and Kay Evans won the highly commended awards.
Each allotment is judged on how well-maintained it is, as well as the variety of products being grown and cleanliness.
*Meanwhile, a cheque for £250 was handed to Cllr Mason by Big Bash event organiser Robert Windle for the mayor’s charities.
The cheque was part of the Big Bash event last month.
Rui Chamberlain, who spent the day photographing the event, also donated £25 to the charity.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
Speaking about the donation, Robert said: “New members have joined the Whittlesey Sports Association and donations were made to various good causes.
“We were also very grateful to the generous donation from the Falcon Hotel who sold food on the day and donated a percentage of the profits.”