A1 Northbound shut due to overturned lorry near Peterborough
- Credit: BCH Road Policing Unit
The A1's Northbound carriageway was closed yesterday morning (May 23) between Peterborough and Wansford, because of an overturned lorry and fuel spillage.
The incident occurred near the A1's Water Newton junction.
An image released by police shows the lorry on its side, lying across both lanes of the carriageway.
Minor injuries were incurred by the driver, but no serious wounds were sustained.
Traffic had been building up and there was currently congestion for three miles on the Southbound carriageway at the time.
This was due to motorists slowing down to view the scene.
Police had asked commuters to allow extra time for their journeys.
- 1 This is YOUR town’s future says council – tell us what you think?
- 2 Student, 14, arrested at Neale-Wade Academy, March
- 3 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
- 4 Police alert fire service to motor home engulfed in flames
- 5 Man fought off three hammer-wielding burglars
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 Lloyds Pharmacy front door smashed during Chatteris burglary
- 8 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 9 Entrepreneur ‘lights up’ after securing £16,000 for lamp shade business
- 10 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
Police also confirmed that the A1 Northbound would be closed "for some time".
A spokesperson for the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire (BCH) Road Policing Unit said: "(The) A1 Northbound Water Newton is currently closed and will be for some time due to a lorry on it’s side.
"Thankfully minor injuries only.
"Please allow extra time for your journey this morning."