Motorists face diversions due to A142 bridge closure
- Credit: Lorna Dupre
Motorists in the Fens will face diversions to their usual journeys as a key road is closed for repairs.
The Mepal bridge on the A142 between Mepal and Chatteris will be closed for three weekends in February and March.
The closures have been planned after faults in the bridge joints are in need of repair.
These will take place from 8.30pm on Friday to 5am on Monday during the following dates:
- Friday, February 25 to Monday, February 28
- Friday, March 4 to Monday, March 7
- Friday, March 11 to Monday, March 14
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 3 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 4 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 5 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 6 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 7 Voi trial ‘confuses people’ about illegal e-scooters
- 8 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 9 Dr Who/Alice in Wonderland parody mashup performance comes to March this Summer
- 10 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
Motorists travelling towards Ely will be diverted via Chatteris, Huntingdon, Cambridge and Ely along the A142, A14 and A10.
Those local to the area may likely find shorter diversion routes.
Cllr Lorna Dupre, district councillor for Mepal, Sutton, Witcham and Wentworth said: “The installation of the bridge joints has never been trouble-free, with many nearby residents of Mepal affected by increased noise.
“Let us hope this work provides a more satisfactory outcome.”