Council issues warning about possible flooding - and road closure - on the A1101 at Welney
- Credit: Archant
Heavy rain has increased the likelihood of the main road through the Fens – the A1101 at Welney – being closed in the coming days.
The warning was issued tonight by Norfolk County Council who urged motorists to check the electronic signage on the approach roads to Welney.
“Due to the recent heavy rainfall we have seen high river levels across East Anglia,” said a council spokesman.
“With more rain forecast for the coming days it’s likely that more flood water will be going in to the Ouse Washes Flood Storage Reservoir and on to the A1101 Wash Road/Welney Causeway.
“This could lead to the road being closed by Norfolk County Council.”
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman added: “People who may be affected are advised to check the nearby electronic signage which will update drivers of the current water levels on the road. “Drivers are urged to stay safe and not drive through flood water. Just 30cm of flood water can move a car.”
You can keep up to date with Flood Alerts and Warnings for your area via the website www.gov.uk/check-if-you-are-at-risk-of-flooding
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 4 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 5 Wright hopes overseas ace's return boosts March Town play-off hopes
- 6 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 7 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 8 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 9 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 10 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site