Council issues warning about possible flooding - and road closure - on the A1101 at Welney
- Credit: Archant
Heavy rain has increased the likelihood of the main road through the Fens – the A1101 at Welney – being closed in the coming days.
The warning was issued tonight by Norfolk County Council who urged motorists to check the electronic signage on the approach roads to Welney.
“Due to the recent heavy rainfall we have seen high river levels across East Anglia,” said a council spokesman.
“With more rain forecast for the coming days it’s likely that more flood water will be going in to the Ouse Washes Flood Storage Reservoir and on to the A1101 Wash Road/Welney Causeway.
“This could lead to the road being closed by Norfolk County Council.”
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman added: “People who may be affected are advised to check the nearby electronic signage which will update drivers of the current water levels on the road. “Drivers are urged to stay safe and not drive through flood water. Just 30cm of flood water can move a car.”
You can keep up to date with Flood Alerts and Warnings for your area via the website www.gov.uk/check-if-you-are-at-risk-of-flooding
- 1 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 2 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 3 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 4 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 5 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 6 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 7 30 firefighters tackle A14 lorry blaze
- 8 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 9 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 10 Best is yet to come for March Town after successive league defeats