Massive disruption to train services from Bury Edmunds through Ely and Manea to Peterborough following freight derailment at Queen Adelaide
- Credit: Archant
Train services between Bury St Edmunds and Peterborough may be cancelled, delayed or suspended following the derailment of a freight train near Ely.
A Greater Anglia spokesman: “Due to a derailed freight train between Ely and Peterborough all lines are blocked.
“Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or suspended between Bury St Edmunds and Peterborough. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.”
The spokesman said the delays were likely following reports of the freight train being derailed between Ely and Manea stations; a local resident says he can see the derailed train near his Queen Adelaide home at Ely.
Greater Anglia say the freight train operator, Network Rail and the emergency services are working as quickly and safely as possible to assess the situation.
You may also want to watch:
The Greater Anglia 13:50 Peterborough to Ipswich service was unable to pass the derailed train, and Network Rail are in the process of moving all affected trains back towards the stations towards Peterborough.
A rail replacement service has been requested to run between Bury St Edmunds and Ely, to call at Ely, Manea, March, Whittlesey and Peterborough, which will be operated by Panther, Young’s and Discovery.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 5 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 6 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 7 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 8 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 9 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 10 Woman named amongst UK’s most inspirational female entrepreneurs
Greater Anglia services between Norwich and Cambridge, and Ipswich and Cambridge are mostly unaffected.
Greater Anglia plan an update in the next 20 minutes.
“Greater Anglia and Network Rail are sorry if your journey has been affected by this disruption,” said the spokesman.
15:20 Ipswich to Cambridge due 16:39
15:48 Cambridge to Ely due 16:11
16:44 Cambridge to Ipswich due 18:04