Massive disruption to train services from Bury Edmunds through Ely and Manea to Peterborough following freight derailment at Queen Adelaide
- Credit: Archant
Train services between Bury St Edmunds and Peterborough may be cancelled, delayed or suspended following the derailment of a freight train near Ely.
A Greater Anglia spokesman: “Due to a derailed freight train between Ely and Peterborough all lines are blocked.
“Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or suspended between Bury St Edmunds and Peterborough. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.”
The spokesman said the delays were likely following reports of the freight train being derailed between Ely and Manea stations; a local resident says he can see the derailed train near his Queen Adelaide home at Ely.
Greater Anglia say the freight train operator, Network Rail and the emergency services are working as quickly and safely as possible to assess the situation.
The Greater Anglia 13:50 Peterborough to Ipswich service was unable to pass the derailed train, and Network Rail are in the process of moving all affected trains back towards the stations towards Peterborough.
A rail replacement service has been requested to run between Bury St Edmunds and Ely, to call at Ely, Manea, March, Whittlesey and Peterborough, which will be operated by Panther, Young’s and Discovery.
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 3 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 4 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 5 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 6 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 7 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 8 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 9 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 10 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
Greater Anglia services between Norwich and Cambridge, and Ipswich and Cambridge are mostly unaffected.
Greater Anglia plan an update in the next 20 minutes.
“Greater Anglia and Network Rail are sorry if your journey has been affected by this disruption,” said the spokesman.
15:20 Ipswich to Cambridge due 16:39
15:48 Cambridge to Ely due 16:11
16:44 Cambridge to Ipswich due 18:04