Massive disruption to train services from Bury Edmunds through Ely and Manea to Peterborough following freight derailment at Queen Adelaide
- Credit: Archant
Train services between Bury St Edmunds and Peterborough may be cancelled, delayed or suspended following the derailment of a freight train near Ely.
A Greater Anglia spokesman: “Due to a derailed freight train between Ely and Peterborough all lines are blocked.
“Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or suspended between Bury St Edmunds and Peterborough. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.”
The spokesman said the delays were likely following reports of the freight train being derailed between Ely and Manea stations; a local resident says he can see the derailed train near his Queen Adelaide home at Ely.
Greater Anglia say the freight train operator, Network Rail and the emergency services are working as quickly and safely as possible to assess the situation.
You may also want to watch:
The Greater Anglia 13:50 Peterborough to Ipswich service was unable to pass the derailed train, and Network Rail are in the process of moving all affected trains back towards the stations towards Peterborough.
A rail replacement service has been requested to run between Bury St Edmunds and Ely, to call at Ely, Manea, March, Whittlesey and Peterborough, which will be operated by Panther, Young’s and Discovery.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 3 Stunning drone footage shows prom night in all its glory
- 4 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 5 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 6 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 7 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 8 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 9 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 10 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
Greater Anglia services between Norwich and Cambridge, and Ipswich and Cambridge are mostly unaffected.
Greater Anglia plan an update in the next 20 minutes.
“Greater Anglia and Network Rail are sorry if your journey has been affected by this disruption,” said the spokesman.
15:20 Ipswich to Cambridge due 16:39
15:48 Cambridge to Ely due 16:11
16:44 Cambridge to Ipswich due 18:04