Giant tree lands on dog walker amid Storm Eunice in Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Vince Pettit
A giant tree landed on a dog walker in south-west Cambridgeshire this morning following strong winds caused by the ongoing Storm Eunice.
The man miraculously escaped serious injury after the tree came down on Station Road in Melbourn near Royston earlier today (February 18).
Police, on-lookers and the East of England Ambulance service helped rescue the man and his pooch after they became trapped under the enormous tree.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police said: “We were called at 8.45am to reports of a fallen tree and a trapped dog walker on Station Road, Melbourn.
“Officers attended together with paramedics and firefighters and the dog walker, a man, was treated at the scene for minor injuries.”
An East of England Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called to Station Road in Melbourn following reports that a dog walker was trapped by a fallen tree.
"An ambulance, a response car from the East Anglian Air Ambulance and three vehicles from the Hazardous Area Response Team were sent to the scene.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 6 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 7 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 8 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 9 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 10 Man who died in A141 crash named
"A man was transported to Addenbrooke’s Hospital for further assessment and treatment, while the dog was reported to be ok.”
One eye-witness said on social media: “There was a man and his dog trapped under the tree… [they were] all ok now and [were] taken to hospital.
“The tree is slowly getting cleared but road is still closed.”
For the most up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Cambridgeshire traffic map.
Do you have a live or breaking news story from across Cambridgeshire? Email: email@example.com