Greater Anglia train service from Ipswich to Peterborough to be ‘fully restored’ by Monday
- Credit: Archant
Greater Anglia is planning to restore the full timetable between Ipswich and Peterborough from Monday, January 20.
Jay Thompson, Greater Anglia train service delivery director, said: "We sincerely apologise to customers on the Ipswich-Peterborough route who have been inconvenienced by many weeks of disruption.
"We are now confident that we have everything in place so that we are able to run a full timetable on the route.
"Since the signalling issues in December, we have made sure that customers are able to complete their journeys, by offering alternative routes by rail and a rail replacement bus service."
The two-hourly service was severely disrupted by signalling issues on Greater Anglia's regional branch lines from early December onwards, when Network Rail asked Greater Anglia to run fewer trains while a signalling problem was investigated.
You may also want to watch:
The investigation looked into the impact of extreme autumn conditions on the track, the signalling equipment itself and the interaction between trains and the track.
As a result of the signalling issues, Greater Anglia's programme of introducing new trains, including training drivers and testing new trains, was set back which led to further cancellations on the line.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 6 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
Since Christmas, services have been gradually reintroduced on the Ipswich-Peterborough line and the first brand new longer train on the route went into passenger service earlier this month.
There have been some days when a full service has run on the route, but from Monday a regular full service is due to be reinstated on the line.
Anyone who has been delayed due to the disruption should contact Greater Anglia to find out about delay repay compensation.