Tree surgeon returns to work after horrific Fenland chainsaw accident
A TREE surgeon who was left fighting for his life after an horrific chainsaw accident has returned to work.
The 21-year-old man was working 25 feet up a tree in Thorney Road, Guyhirn, on Thursday, April 14, when he slipped, causing a chainsaw to leave deep wounds in his neck and left arm.
Medical staff at the scene used techniques more usually found on the front line in Afghanistan to save the life of the man, who remained conscious throughout.
He was air-lifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, for emergency surgery before being transferred to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in London for specialist nerve repairs to his arm.
But a spokesman from his employer BTS Group has confirmed the tree surgeon has made a full recovery and is now back at work - just over a month after the horrific accident.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Due to the quick thinking and highly trained staff in first aid on site the lad was rescued from the tree. I would like to thank all the staff on site for their calm professionalism in such a stressful situation.
“BTS prides itself on an exceptional safety record and employs highly skilled staff who have clearly demonstrated their competency in the field.”
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 3 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 6 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 7 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 8 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 9 Floral tributes laid for ‘amazing brother’ killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 Cannabis factory uncovered in Fen village
The announcement comes after a Health and Safety Executive spokesman confirmed it had launched an investigation.
UK Power Networks, who the tree surgeon was working for when the accident happened, has also launched an investigation.