Tributes left at scene of Cambs crash in which 18 year-old student Jack Ure died
- Credit: Archant
TRIBUTES have been left throughout the weekend at the spot where a teenager lost his life in a three vehicle accident on Thursday.
Jack Ure, 18, of Pymoor, was a sixth form student at Ely Community College and had just completed his A level exams.
“A very bright young man with a wicked sense of humour” was how college staff fondly recalls him.
Jack was driving a Renault Clio which was in collision with a Mercedes and a Land Rover at the bridge near the Swan at New River Bank, Littleport.
Many tributes on social media were paid to Jack throughout the weekend including from Sarah Bebbington on Twitter.
You may also want to watch:
“Ely sixth form is completed crushed,” she tweeted. “Teachers crying and everyone in complete silence. RIP Jack.”
The college decided to go ahead with the summer ball on Friday evening, principally to provide a support network for many who knew Jack.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
Authorities will be asked to take a look at the accident rate along the stretch of road where Jack died.
Geoff Norman wrote on the Ely Standard website over the weekend: “Do you realise there have now been five fatalities in the last ten years on a half mile stretch of New River Bank in Littleport?”
On Saturday morning emergency services were called to Swaffham Heath Road, Dullingham, near Newmarket.
On arrival officers they found a silver Volkswagen Transporter van had collided with a blue Citroen Saxo.
It was confirmed a person died at the scene.