Tributes left at scene of Cambs crash in which 18 year-old student Jack Ure died
- Credit: Archant
TRIBUTES have been left throughout the weekend at the spot where a teenager lost his life in a three vehicle accident on Thursday.
Jack Ure, 18, of Pymoor, was a sixth form student at Ely Community College and had just completed his A level exams.
“A very bright young man with a wicked sense of humour” was how college staff fondly recalls him.
Jack was driving a Renault Clio which was in collision with a Mercedes and a Land Rover at the bridge near the Swan at New River Bank, Littleport.
Many tributes on social media were paid to Jack throughout the weekend including from Sarah Bebbington on Twitter.
“Ely sixth form is completed crushed,” she tweeted. “Teachers crying and everyone in complete silence. RIP Jack.”
The college decided to go ahead with the summer ball on Friday evening, principally to provide a support network for many who knew Jack.
- 1 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 2 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 3 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 4 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 7 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 8 'Most stunning' The Chase contestant takes on fresh challenge
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Couple up for the challenge as new high street shop launched
Authorities will be asked to take a look at the accident rate along the stretch of road where Jack died.
Geoff Norman wrote on the Ely Standard website over the weekend: “Do you realise there have now been five fatalities in the last ten years on a half mile stretch of New River Bank in Littleport?”
On Saturday morning emergency services were called to Swaffham Heath Road, Dullingham, near Newmarket.
On arrival officers they found a silver Volkswagen Transporter van had collided with a blue Citroen Saxo.
It was confirmed a person died at the scene.