Trio of Fenland trekkers to conquer 26-mile Inca Trail in Peru for charity
A TRIO of trekkers are set to conquer the 26-mile Inca Trail in Peru to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Vicki Wright, 29, Alice Goose, 27 and Laura Burgess, 24, who are all youth workers in Fenland, have already started fundraising for the trip in May.
They need to raise �3,700 each, with 65 per cent of the money going straight to the charity and the rest used to cover the cost of the expedition.
Ms Wright said: “I was looking at doing something like this and so were Alice and Laura but we didn’t realise that we were all interested in doing the same thing.
“It’s a cause that’s very close to our hearts. The more people you speak to the more you realise how much work the do. It’s not just the Macmillan nurses, they do so much more and help so many people.
You may also want to watch:
“I think the trek lasts for five days. On some days you’re walking for 12 hours a day so it could be a shock to the system - but that’s all part of the challenge.”
The determined trekkers have organised a host of fundraising activities to help them reach Peru. Coffee mornings and car boot sales have already taken place with quizzes, raffles and a sponsored walk also planned.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 7 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 8 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 9 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Ms Wright is holding a special Santa’s Grotto in The Cock Inn, March, throughout next month. For �3 children will get to meet Santa, have their photo taken and receive a festive treat. Leaflets are going out with more information and helpers are welcome.
A fundraising race night is also planned for January 28 at The Cock Inn. For more information contact Ms Wright on 07803718181.
• To help the youth workers reach Peru donate on their fundraising websites: www.justgiving.com/vicki-wright www.justgiving.com/Alice-Goose www.justgiving.com/Laura-Burgess3
Donations can also be made via text. To sponsor Ms Wright text VICP99 followed by the amount you wish to donate to 70070.
To sponsor Ms Goose text XAXH66 followed by the amount you wish to donate to 70070 and to sponsor Ms Burgess text BWRH84 followed by the amount you wish to donate to 70070.