Try your hand at becoming the Fenland Poet Laureate for 2015
- Credit: Archant
Budding poets are asked to pick up a pen and create literature about the Fens to try their hand at becoming the area’s next poet laureate.
The competition is a chance for writers from across the Fens to come together, share their poetry and help put Fenland on the creative map.
ADeC and Atelier East, working in partnership with Fen Speak and the Wisbech and Fenland Museum, have announced the Fenland Poet Laureate poetry competition for 2015.
“Being Fenland Poet Laureate has kicked started my poetry career,” said Poppy Kleiser, the current Fenland Poet Laureate. “Both the landscape and communities of Fenland have been inspirational, and I know the project has become a vital cog in developing the artistic movement emerging rapidly from the area!”
The competition organisers are looking for poems that represent and relate to theme Fenland. You can interpret the theme in any way you choose and the judges are really looking forward to reading your entries!
You may also want to watch:
Winning the title of Fenland Poet Laureate is a great recognition of talent, as well as a fantastic opportunity to engage with your local community. The Laureate will be able to write about local events throughout the year and present poems for special occasions, working with others to develop ideas for bringing poetry to Fenland.
First, second and third places will be awarded to three of the poets in both the adult category and the young (10-17) category. Certificates of achievement will be given to all shortlisted and commended entrants.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
All shortlisted and commended poets will be invited to the special Fenland Poet Laureate Awards evening on Friday March 27 at the Wisbech and Fenland Museum.
Deadlines for entry is midnight on Friday January 30.
Send your poem, along with a cover email with your name, email address, telephone number, address, age group entered (10-17, or 18+) and the title of the poem to: email@example.com
Alternatively, you can pick up an entry form from your local library or museum and post your entry to the Wisbech and Fenland Museum.