Try your hand at bell-ringing this weekend
- Credit: Archant
The secrets of church bell-ringing will be laid bare on Saturday (May 17) as the Ely Diocesian Association of Bell Ringers hosts a demonstration event.
Taking place at All Saints Church, in Landbeach, from 10am-1pm, the event is being run by ringers from Landbeach, Histon, Cottenham and other local towers, and is open to people of all ages.
Activities on the day, which is free of charge, will include bell ringing demonstrations, handbell ringing, and have-a-go sessions.
As well as listening to and watching experienced tower bell and handbell ringers, visitors will be welcome to have a go themselves, under the watchful eyes of experienced instructors.
Computers will be present to simulate the art of change ringing, and CCTV will be rigged up in the belfry so that the bells can be seen in action. There will also be refreshments.
You may also want to watch:
Hilary Rose, 77, learned to ring on the bells of Landbeach as a teenager in the 1950s. She says it was one of the best decisions she ever made, as it is a pleasure that has stayed with her all her life.
She said: “I even met my husband in Trumpington belfry and we were married there 50 years ago this year – bell ringing still brings us a great deal of pleasure, mental stimulation and friendship”.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home