TWO GALLERIES: The procession may have ended but the carnival in March is far from over
THOUSANDS lined the streets of March today as the annual summer festival procession got under way. It was blustery but the rain held off- and the organisers offered up a huge sigh of relief.
Headed, of course and by tradition, by a car with the carnival princess Darryann Marshall and attendant on board the parade included a historic classic car for the Mayor, Councillor Jan French, and her entourage.
They, too, were followed by Harley, the celebrity Fenland dog who travels everywhere in the side car of his owner Alan’s motor bike.
Then came the throngs of floats and performers which included the Caledonian Pipe Band, Sarah’s Street Dancers , Dance Mania, Young People March, Farcet Twist and Twirl Majorettes and the Arco Iris Samba Band.
The festival opened last night with rock in the park, continues through this evening with pop in the park, and tomorrow there will be a picnic in the park with various bands and entertainment.
You may also want to watch:
The festival culminates tomorrow night with RAF Wyton Area Voluntary Bandat 7.30pm but in St Peter’s Church if wet.
We’ve had a photographer out and about today but if you have photos you would like to share on our website please tweet them to @johnelworthy or send attached to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 10 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
More reports and photos will follow and see next week’s Cambs Times print edition too.