Two in custody after crash in which car travelled wrong way along Wisbech dual carriageway
- Credit: Archant
Two men are in police custody after a head-on crash caused by a car travelling the wrong way on a dual carriageway in Wisbech.
The crash took place shortly after 11pm yesterday in Churchill Road, between the Freedom Bridge roundabout and the junction with Stermyn Street.
A police spokesman confirmed that one of the cars involved in the crash was travelling the wrong way along Churchill Road.
A 27-year-old man and a 22-year-old man, both from Wisbech, were arrested on suspicion of drink driving. Both remain in police custody.
The cars involved in the collision were a Renault Laguna and a Vauxhall Corsa.
Four people were injured in the crash. Two people suffered suspected spinal injuries and were taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn, while the other people suffered minor injuries and were discharged at the scene by paramedics.
Firefighters were called to the incident and used cutting equipment to release a casualty from one of the cars. Crews had returned to the town’s fire station by 12.15am.
- 1 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 2 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 3 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 4 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 5 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 6 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 7 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 8 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 9 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 10 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
The road was closed for more than an hour while firefighters extracted the casualty and for the wreckages to be cleared.