Two Libyans ‘training’ at RAF base in Cambridgeshire charged with raping a man- three others charged with sexual offences against women
- Credit: Archant
Two Libyan soldiers are to appear in court in Cambridge tomorrow accused of raping a man in the city on October 26.
It follows the arrest of three other Libyans, part of a contingent undergoing training at Bassingbourn Barracks, who have been charged separately of sexually assaulting three women in Cambridge over the same weekend.
Tonight’s news of the latest arrests coincided with a Ministry of Defence decision to curtail the training programme that brought 300 Libyans to Cambridgeshire to under go training.
Earlier today the MP for South Cambridgeshire Andrew Lansley had called for the training programme to end early after describing how rules allowing for escorted trips only into Cambridge had been thwarted.
The MP told the BBC: ““It is with regret that I must now say that it has not worked as we had hoped.
You may also want to watch:
““It is clear that the stipulation that there was to be no unauthorised exit from the base has not been adhered to and the consequences have been unacceptable.
“As I have today expressed to MoD, I now see no alternative but to terminate the contract and repatriate the trainees currently on the base.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 10 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
“As this stands, no further groups of trainees could be brought here from Libya.”
Cambs Police confirmed tonight that Moktar Ali Saad Mahmoud, 33, from Old North Road, Bassingbourn, has been charged with rape.
Ibrahim Abogutila, 22, from Old North Road, Bassingbourn, has also been charged with rape.
Both men will appear at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court tomorrow morning (Tuesday November 4).
At an earlier hearing three Libyan soldiers were remanded in custody after being accused of sexually assaulting three women in Cambridge.
Khaled El Azibi, 18, Ibrahim Naji El Maarfi, 20, and Mohammed Abdalsalam, 27, were charged after the women were allegedly attacked on Sunday.
All three had been undergoing training at Bassingbourn Barracks, the Ministry of Defence confirmed.
Cambridge Magistrates’ Court has sent the case to the crown court.
El Azibi has been charged with three counts of sexual assault.
El Maarfi faces two counts of sexual assault and one count of exposure.
Abdalsalam faces charges including that of sexual assault.
At one stage up to 2,000 Libyan troops had expected to use Bassingbourn over a 15 month period.