Two men arrested after attempts to steal mini-digger hired from Fenland firm
TWO men were arrested on suspicion of trying to steal a mini-digger which had been hired from a Fenland firm less than an hour earlier.
The men, aged 47 and 27, both from the Peterborough area were arrested on suspicion of theft after witnesses spotted the pair loading the �10,000 digger onto a trailer.
A spokesman for Gowlers of Chatteris confirmed he had delivered the digger to the site in Gas Road, March, at 9.30am on Saturday.
He said: “When I arrived I found the site a little bit strange and started to think, this looks a bit similar to the scenario that happened last time when a JCB got stolen from us around seven years ago.
“There was no work going on, no vans and just one man wandering about. I usually known all of my customers but I didn’t know these so I suppose I became a bit suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
“The last time it happened I arrived back to pick my digger up and it wasn’t there so I soon called the police.”
“I can’t thank them enough for how quickly they reacted. I guess I just have a very lucky escape and now I hope justice prevails.”
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 7 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 8 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
The two men have been bailed to return to March police station on May 3.