Two teenagers arrested after 15 minute attack on Fenland home leaves disabled resident terrified

TWO teenagers have now been arrested for launching a 15 minute onslaught on a disabled Manea resident’s home, hurling rocks at his windows and shouting abuse.

The 15 year-old boys, suspected of causing criminal damage, have been bailed until December 13.

Matthew Sly and his wife watched in horror as rocks crashed into the windows of their High Street bungalow on Sunday night. When Mr Sly approached one vandal he was abused and threatened. Police were called to the scene just after 7pm.

Mr Sly said: “It was just constant. They were throwing rocks and shouting abuse. When I saw what was happening the boy said: ‘I don’t care, I’ll kill you.’

“It shook me up. I’m partially disabled and I moved here to have a quiet life. My wife has had to round to her mum’s because she’s so terrified.”


You may also want to watch:


Mr Sly and his wife retreated to the corridor during the attack to call the police. Windows at the front and back of the bungalow were left shattered.

“I don’t think they were trying to burgle the place,” said Mr Sly. “They were just angry and we were the first port of call.

Most Read

“They were big lads and I’d have had trouble stopping them. What if my wife had been on her own?”

Detective Constable Kayleigh O’Brien, investigating, said: “This was a very frightening experience for the victims who had to hide inside their home until police arrived.

“I would appeal to anyone who saw what happened to contact police.”

Anyone with any information should call DC O’Brien on 0345 456 456 4 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter