Two top awards for tenant gardeners
TWO Wisbech residents, have each been awarded first prize in different categories in a garden competition organised by Nene Housing. Tony Bryant beat off stiff competition from over 50 entrants to win the prize in the best container category for his outst
TWO Wisbech residents, have each been awarded first prize in different categories in a garden competition organised by Nene Housing.
Tony Bryant beat off stiff competition from over 50 entrants to win the prize in the best container category for his outstanding hanging baskets which are on display outside his home.
Mr Bryant, who lives in a top floor flat, has placed the baskets along an outside staircase and in a public walkway for everyone to enjoy.
Another Wisbech resident, Ken Stockley, won the top prize in the vegetable garden category. The judges praised the variety of vegetables grown and the presentation of the garden.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of Nene, Cliff Walker, presented Mr Bryant with a certificate and gift vouchers at a special ceremony which was attended by the winners and runners up in other categories, including best front or back garden.
Mr Bryant said: "I am delighted to have won the competition and I never expected to win. I really enjoyed making and looking after the baskets and I received a lot of good comments about them from other residents."
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Jill Jackson, resident involvement officer at Nene, said: "All of our entrants put a great deal of time and effort into caring for their gardens. They work hard throughout the year keeping them looking fantastic and they should be proud of their achievements.