Txts 2 help kidz BFree of smoking
SCHOOL pupils as young as 14 are to be sent text messages of support in a bid to help them quit smoking. Health chiefs have launched the new SMS text service in Fenland to help wean teenagers off cigarettes. The service has been set up by the 2BFree proje
SCHOOL pupils as young as 14 are to be sent text messages of support in a bid to help them quit smoking.
Health chiefs have launched the new SMS text service in Fenland to help wean teenagers off cigarettes.
The service has been set up by the 2BFree project, an extension of the CAMQUIT smoking cessation service in East Cambridgeshire and Fenland.
Claire Mead, healthy lifestyles co-ordinator at Cambridgeshire Primary Care Trust, said a recent study had shown as many as 17 per cent of 14-15 year-olds in Fenland were either regular or occasional smokers.
You may also want to watch:
But the trust was buoyed by the fact the same study showed two out of three of those would like to stop smoking.
"Young people can text the new 2Bfree service, which will cost their standard network rate, for information, advice and support on any smoking issues," she said. "The new text service will also be used by 2BFree to send messages of support and encouragement to those already in the process of stopping, and also as a way to remind young people of their next appointment."
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
Young people can contact 2Bfree by texting 07717 988782.
Ms Mead said the aim of the project was to provide information, support and advice to young people living in the East Cambridgeshire and Fenland area through educational sessions in schools, youth clubs or other groups young people attend, and also by providing smoking cessation sessions.
INFORMATION: Anyone with questions about the text service or the 2BFree project can contact Jodie Crane (project co-ordinator) on 01353 654227 or e-mail Jodie.firstname.lastname@example.org