Tydd youth worker earns Kids Are Alright Challenge nomination by volunteering at Albanian missionary
VOLUNTEER Katie Stone has spent the last week caring for homeless people in a missionary in Albania - and the teenager has returned to Fenland to be named as our latest Kids Are Alright nominee.
The 19-year-old, from Tydd Gote, volunteers as a youth worker across Fenland and works at Krazy Dayz Nursery in Walsoken.
By travelling to help vulnerable people in Albania, Katie achieved her lifelong ambition to volunteer overseas.
She said: “I had always wanted to volunteer in another country - I’ve got a few dreams and I chase them. They taught me the basics of Albanian but it’s more about just listening.”
Katie normally volunteers at a youth club in Elm, helping teenagers with their problems and leading activities.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I had quite a hard time at school and that’s made me passionate about youth work and making a difference. I feel like I can support others from what I’ve been through myself.
“I always wanted to work with children - I have said that since I was a little girl myself. It’s nice to give something back to the community and see such good results from what you’re doing.
- 1 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 2 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 3 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 4 Cannabis factory uncovered in Fen village
- 5 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 6 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 7 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 8 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 9 'Gone but never forgotten' - tributes left by lake where man drowned
- 10 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
“I try to talk problems over with them. I’m someone to speak to for people who haven’t always got someone.”
• Katie is the third nomination in contention for this month’s Kids Are Alright Challenge prize. We’re still hunting for youngsters who are making a difference in Fenland. To nominate a young person or youth group, fill in the form on our website or email your nomination to: email@example.com
To keep up with the latest Kids Are Alright news, see our facebook page or follow us on Twitter at: @KidsAlright2011