Tydd youth worker earns Kids Are Alright Challenge nomination by volunteering at Albanian missionary
VOLUNTEER Katie Stone has spent the last week caring for homeless people in a missionary in Albania - and the teenager has returned to Fenland to be named as our latest Kids Are Alright nominee.
The 19-year-old, from Tydd Gote, volunteers as a youth worker across Fenland and works at Krazy Dayz Nursery in Walsoken.
By travelling to help vulnerable people in Albania, Katie achieved her lifelong ambition to volunteer overseas.
She said: “I had always wanted to volunteer in another country - I’ve got a few dreams and I chase them. They taught me the basics of Albanian but it’s more about just listening.”
Katie normally volunteers at a youth club in Elm, helping teenagers with their problems and leading activities.
She said: “I had quite a hard time at school and that’s made me passionate about youth work and making a difference. I feel like I can support others from what I’ve been through myself.
“I always wanted to work with children - I have said that since I was a little girl myself. It’s nice to give something back to the community and see such good results from what you’re doing.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 3 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 4 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 5 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 6 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
- 9 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
- 10 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
“I try to talk problems over with them. I’m someone to speak to for people who haven’t always got someone.”
• Katie is the third nomination in contention for this month’s Kids Are Alright Challenge prize. We’re still hunting for youngsters who are making a difference in Fenland. To nominate a young person or youth group, fill in the form on our website or email your nomination to: email@example.com
To keep up with the latest Kids Are Alright news, see our facebook page or follow us on Twitter at: @KidsAlright2011