Tydd youth worker earns Kids Are Alright Challenge nomination by volunteering at Albanian missionary
VOLUNTEER Katie Stone has spent the last week caring for homeless people in a missionary in Albania - and the teenager has returned to Fenland to be named as our latest Kids Are Alright nominee.
The 19-year-old, from Tydd Gote, volunteers as a youth worker across Fenland and works at Krazy Dayz Nursery in Walsoken.
By travelling to help vulnerable people in Albania, Katie achieved her lifelong ambition to volunteer overseas.
She said: “I had always wanted to volunteer in another country - I’ve got a few dreams and I chase them. They taught me the basics of Albanian but it’s more about just listening.”
Katie normally volunteers at a youth club in Elm, helping teenagers with their problems and leading activities.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I had quite a hard time at school and that’s made me passionate about youth work and making a difference. I feel like I can support others from what I’ve been through myself.
“I always wanted to work with children - I have said that since I was a little girl myself. It’s nice to give something back to the community and see such good results from what you’re doing.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Car blaze was arson say fire chiefs
- 3 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 4 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 5 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 6 Zero hygiene rating for East Cambs take-away
- 7 Ledger discovery affords a glimpse of Victorian travel
- 8 Cross party review says 39 councillors for Fenland not enough -three more needed
- 9 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 10 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
“I try to talk problems over with them. I’m someone to speak to for people who haven’t always got someone.”
• Katie is the third nomination in contention for this month’s Kids Are Alright Challenge prize. We’re still hunting for youngsters who are making a difference in Fenland. To nominate a young person or youth group, fill in the form on our website or email your nomination to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To keep up with the latest Kids Are Alright news, see our facebook page or follow us on Twitter at: @KidsAlright2011