Had he listened to Maggie he’d have known ‘the lorry is not for turning’
- Credit: Archant
The hapless driver who came unstuck attempting a U-turn in the Fens today (Thursday) had clearly not heard Maggie Thatcher’s famous speech.
“You turn if you want to,” she said. “The lady’s not for turning.”
Neither as it happens is a mega HGV and trailer moving goods through the Fens on the A141.
The easiest – and most logical – manoeuvre would have been to await a roundabout either end of the stretch of road.
But in this instance the driver seemed to lack the patience to do just that.
You may also want to watch:
The lorry, as expected, came to grief in the soft Fenland soil.
Luckily there were no injuries and luckily help was soon on the way to steer them back to the straight and narrow.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 5 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 6 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 7 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 8 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 9 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
A motorist – stuck in traffic whilst the lorry was extracted from the roadside- ensured posterity can recall the moment by taking a quick snap of it.
On social media one person said her husband had seen the lorry in a layby and let him out onto the A141.
“Then the pilchard did that,” she said. Which may reflect the mood music in the depot when he gets back.