Had he listened to Maggie he’d have known ‘the lorry is not for turning’
- Credit: Archant
The hapless driver who came unstuck attempting a U-turn in the Fens today (Thursday) had clearly not heard Maggie Thatcher’s famous speech.
“You turn if you want to,” she said. “The lady’s not for turning.”
Neither as it happens is a mega HGV and trailer moving goods through the Fens on the A141.
The easiest – and most logical – manoeuvre would have been to await a roundabout either end of the stretch of road.
But in this instance the driver seemed to lack the patience to do just that.
You may also want to watch:
The lorry, as expected, came to grief in the soft Fenland soil.
Luckily there were no injuries and luckily help was soon on the way to steer them back to the straight and narrow.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
A motorist – stuck in traffic whilst the lorry was extracted from the roadside- ensured posterity can recall the moment by taking a quick snap of it.
On social media one person said her husband had seen the lorry in a layby and let him out onto the A141.
“Then the pilchard did that,” she said. Which may reflect the mood music in the depot when he gets back.