UKIP putting on free mini bus for Chatteris shoppers struggling to cope after supermarket closures
- Credit: Archant
A free weekly bus will run from Chatteris to Ramsey to help shoppers struggling to cope after one store was closed and another mothballed.
The minibus, provided by UKIP, will ferry people between Chatteris and the Co-operative and Tesco in Ramsey.
UKIP County Councillor Sandra Rylance says the bus will enable Chatteris residents affected by the closure of the town’s Co-operative and mothballing of the planned Tesco store to have access to a supermarket for their weekly shop.
Cllr Rylance said: “We clearly want a supermarket in Chatteris and I am a strong supporter of the businesses in our market town.
“However I believe that, as a county councillor, it is my duty to ensure the most vulnerable residents that I represent will have access to a supermarket in order to be able to do their weekly shop.
You may also want to watch:
“We have used the UKIP common sense mini bus on many occasions to ensure that residents can get to events, hospital appointments and work, so it seems logical that we will use the bus to ensure residents have access to a supermarket.
“Chatteris is an excellent place to live, work and shop and I intend to make sure that the residents I represent are looked after in every way I can.”
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 3 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 5 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 6 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 7 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 8 Alligator-owning farmer stars in new Ross Kemp ITV documentary
- 9 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
The mini bus will start at noon on Sunday, February 22 at the top of Green Park in Chatteris, picking up at Chatteris Garage, the top of South Park Street in London Road, the top of Wood Street, the police station, Grove House and The Old Walk the Dog Pub.