Uninsured driver ditched drugs and abandoned son on Christmas Day
- Credit: Cambs Cops
An uninsured driver ditched a bag of cannabis before running away from police, leaving his five-year-old son behind all on Christmas Day.
Aaron Spencer, 29, was seen by police driving a Vauxhall Astra van erratically in Markham Close, Cambridge, at around 12.10pm on December 25.
When he was eventually stopped, he handed a bag of cannabis to the officer, but then ran off leaving his child behind.
As a result, officers made urgent referrals to partner agencies in relation to the child’s welfare.
Following the incident, shocked officers posted a description of what happened on Twitter, resulting in significant local media interest.
You may also want to watch:
Spencer, of Kings Hedges Road, Cambridge, was interviewed on December 29.
He claimed he had received the cannabis as a present in a Christmas card and admitted not having a valid driving licence or insurance.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 7 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 8 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 9 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 10 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
On Thursday, March 25, at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court, he pleaded guilty to possession of cannabis, driving without insurance and driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence.
At the same hearing he was disqualified from driving for a year. He was also fined £150 and ordered to pay £85 costs.
PC Steph Corletto said: “Spencer’s behaviour that day was both shocking and selfish.
“To run from the police to in an attempt to avoid prosecution is unacceptable, but to do so and abandon your young child on Christmas Day is unbelievable.”