UPDATE: Investigations launched as tree surgeon recovers from horrific chainsaw accident
A TREE surgeon has made a miraculous recovery and returned home just a week after a chainsaw accident left him fighting for his life.
The 21-year-old was working 25ft up a tree in Thorney Road, Guyhirn, at 3pm last Thursday when he slipped, causing a chainsaw to leave deep wounds in his neck and left arm.
Medics at the scene used techniques more accustomed to those found on the frontline in Afghanistan to save the life of the man who was conscious throughout.
He was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge and was received by a physician and a vascular surgeon for emergency surgery where his condition at the time was stable but critical.
The man, who had severed all the major blood vessels in his neck, was then transferred to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in London for specialist nerve repair to his arm.
You may also want to watch:
But last night a spokesman from his employer, BTS Group, said: “The tree surgeon that was involved in the incident last week is back home with his family in good sprits and will make a full recovery.
“Due to the quick thinking and highly trained staff in first aid on site the lad was rescued from the tree. I would like to thank all the staff on site for their calm professionalism in such a stressful situation.
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 3 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 4 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 5 How defibrillator access varies across the Fens and East Cambridgeshire
- 6 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 7 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 8 ‘It’s a sad thing really’ - vandalism at village church and war memorial
- 9 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
“BTS prides itself on an exceptional safety record and employs highly skilled staff who have clearly demonstrated their competency in the field.”
The announcement comes after a Health and Safety Executive spokesman confirmed the government body was investigating.
UK Power Networks, who the tree surgeon was working for when the accident happened, has also launched an investigation.
A spokesman said: “UK Power Networks expresses regret that a contractor, engaged in tree trimming on our behalf, sustained serious injuries on Thursday. We wish him a full and speedy recovery.
“The safety of our staff and the public is a top priority at UK Power Networks. We take our responsibilities for safety very seriously and work hard to maintain and improve our safety record.
“We are investigating this incident in order to identify any improvements we can make to our procedures or training to help avoid such events in the future.”