UPDATE: Overheating generator caused fire which ripped through Friday Bridge industrial unit
AN overheating generator caused the blaze which ripped through a Friday Bridge industrial unit yesterday, a fire investigation found.
Firefighters from Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire and Norfolk managed to restrict the damage at Conveyor Express, in March Road, to just 25 per cent of the factory.
Crews arrived shortly before 8am to find fire raging inside a unit - thought to be containing metal and steel objects used in the building of conveyor belts - and tackled the flames from the outside using a turntable ladder, jets and hosereels.
Chris Parker, Station Commander for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “When crews arrived the building was well alight but thanks to some excellent firefighting by crews from three counties the fire has been confined to around a quarter of the building.”
Police closed the busy B1101 road from Coldham to Elm between the Jew House Drove and Redmoor Bank junctions as firefighters tackled the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
A water carrier and fire incident command vehicle were also in attendance. No none was believed to have been hurt in the incident.
The road is expected to reopen shortly and a fire investigation is set to take place later today.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion