Upwell apprentice begins to learn his trade on £30m estate regeneration programme in Kings Lynn
- Credit: Archant
Fens apprentice Billy Smith will learn his trade working on a £30m estate regeneration programme which Lovell is undertaking for Freebridge Community Housing at Hillington Square, King’s Lynn.
Billy, 19, of Upwell, will combine working under supervision on site in King’s Lynn with attending the College of West Anglia on a day release basis, studying for a Level 2 NVQ qualification in plumbing.
Billy was put forward for the apprenticeship by the college where he started his NVQ plumbing course in September. Landing his apprentice place with Lovell will enable him to acquire the on-site experience he needs to fully qualify as a plumber.
“I’m over the moon to be starting my apprenticeship with Lovell,” says Billy. “This is a great opportunity for me as they are a big company and it will give me the chance to gain high-quality practical experience.
“I first became interested in plumbing when I worked on building sites as a labourer – I spoke to the plumbers on site and they told me it was a brilliant career. I like the fact that it involves a wide range of skills: with my training behind me, I will have the chance to go in a number of different directions.”
You may also want to watch:
Lovell construction manager Michael Saunders says: “As a company, our goal is to leave a lasting legacy of benefits wherever we work. Providing training and job opportunities locally is very much part of that commitment. Billy is highly motivated and we’re delighted to be helping him progress his construction career as a Lovell apprentice.”
Lovell began work in August 2013 on the regeneration programme, which includes kitchen and bathroom replacements for the area’s 320 flats.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend