Upwell narrow boat cruises firm is a finalist in the ‘Rural Oscars’
- Credit: Archant
Upwell-based Narrow Waters Luxury Cruises is celebrating after being a finalist in the eleventh annual Countryside Alliance Awards, nicknamed the Rural Oscars.
The awards were presented by MP Elizabeth Truss, Environment Secretary and MP for South West Norfolk, at the Houses of Parliament on Wednesday (27).
The Awards are the Countryside Alliance’s annual celebration of rural produce, skills, enterprise and heritage. The champions’ reception in the Cholmondeley Room at Westminster saw over 40 businesses from across England and Wales, selected in November as finalists, celebrate rural Britain with supportive Parliamentarians and hear if they had won a title.
Ms Truss voiced support for farming and the rural economy, telling the room:“Rural businesses are the lifeblood of this country and its communities, contributing over £220 billion to our economy, so it is only right we celebrate the heroes that make our countryside great.”
Sheena Hartley, who runs the company, said: “Thank you to all of you who nominated us, it was very unexpected but amazing!
“We were in the finals, chosen from 4,500 nominations. We did not win but were given a commendation from Elizabeth Truss MP. She told everyone about my boat and what a great venture...Narrow Waters is....Promoting tourism in the Fens.”
For more information: www.narrowboatadventures.co.uk
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 10 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash