Upwell narrow boat cruises firm is a finalist in the ‘Rural Oscars’
- Credit: Archant
Upwell-based Narrow Waters Luxury Cruises is celebrating after being a finalist in the eleventh annual Countryside Alliance Awards, nicknamed the Rural Oscars.
The awards were presented by MP Elizabeth Truss, Environment Secretary and MP for South West Norfolk, at the Houses of Parliament on Wednesday (27).
The Awards are the Countryside Alliance’s annual celebration of rural produce, skills, enterprise and heritage. The champions’ reception in the Cholmondeley Room at Westminster saw over 40 businesses from across England and Wales, selected in November as finalists, celebrate rural Britain with supportive Parliamentarians and hear if they had won a title.
Ms Truss voiced support for farming and the rural economy, telling the room:“Rural businesses are the lifeblood of this country and its communities, contributing over £220 billion to our economy, so it is only right we celebrate the heroes that make our countryside great.”
Sheena Hartley, who runs the company, said: “Thank you to all of you who nominated us, it was very unexpected but amazing!
You may also want to watch:
“We were in the finals, chosen from 4,500 nominations. We did not win but were given a commendation from Elizabeth Truss MP. She told everyone about my boat and what a great venture...Narrow Waters is....Promoting tourism in the Fens.”
For more information: www.narrowboatadventures.co.uk
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed