Upwell school has officially become an academy
- Credit: Archant
Upwell Academy has officially opened as the latest primary school to join CWA Academy Trust.
The new academy has more than 170 students on roll and was graded good by Ofsted in its last inspection in 2013.
Haidee Norman, acting principal, said: “We have the opportunity to turn our good school, under the guidance of CWA Academy Trust, into an outstanding one.
“Recent Ofsted results for other primary schools within the Trust have only confirmed that our decision to join was indeed the correct one for our school.
“Collaboration with schools which have such high expectations and results can only be for the benefit of our children and their learning, and our community.
You may also want to watch:
“The staff are excited to begin this new chapter and we look forward to an exciting future.”
Alan Culley, chair of governors, said: “Everyone in our school community is looking forward to becoming an academy and playing an active role in the CWA Academy Trust’s family of primary academies.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
“This increase in the pool of knowledge and skills within the Trust will benefit all of the Trust’s academies.
“We are anticipating a period of steady and sustained progress in all aspects of the school’s life.
“Our staff and new leadership team are enthusiastic about the opportunities ahead. We know that this move to academy status ensures that primary education in Upwell has a bright future.”
Chief executive of CWA Academy Trust, Dr Duncan Ramsey, said: “Following the recent successes achieved by our primary academies, we are really pleased to welcome Upwell to the CWA Academy Trust family.
“Upwell is a lovely school with an excellent set of staff and supportive parents.
“The Trust will work closely with the local governing body to support Upwell on its journey to becoming an outstanding school at the earliest opportunity.”
Upwell is the seventh school to convert to academy status as a member of the CWA Academy Trust.
The new logo reflects the Upwell bridge, located in the centre of the village, symbolising the community spirit of the school.
Children will wear a bottle green jumper embroidered with the logo, which is teamed with a white shirt and blue tie. A new PE uniform is also being introduced.